Monday, May 21, 2007

Play Time

When you were growing up did you have that friend who had all the toys that you wanted but didn't have? I swear I had this friend who I only hung out with because her stuff was cooler than mine. I'm buying a birthday present for my best friend's daughter and it reminded me of all the things I wanted as a kid but didn't have, here's a list. (This list is in no way comprehensive, I was a very needy child)
  • Snoopy Snow Cone Maker - the most impractical toy ever. It was super hard to use and once you ran out of the syrup it was mostly just an elaborate ice shaver.
  • Nintendo Gameboy - it's smaller than a compact car but bigger than a breadbox, it's the 80's version of gameboy, now I think they just implant them directly into the user's brain. I always wanted one even though I didn't really like video games, I probably would have developed a Tetris addiction.
  • Guess Who Board Game - I loved this game. I can't explain exactly why but this was hands down, my favourite board game. Actually it still is, I would still play this game.
  • Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego video game - back before the television show it was really cool, but then Rockapella ruined that. Where in the world is Rockapella? That's a mystery no one wants solved.
That's all I can think of off the top of my head, I'm sure I could come up with more, like I said, I coveted a lot of things in my youth. (oh, who am I kidding, I still want lots of stuff) What would you add to my list?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I never had a Light Brite and I soooooo wanted one!! Before the whole roller blade thing came around I sooooo wanted a pair of roller skates - yup the kind with 4 wheels per skate and they weighed over 15 pounds each!

I'm sure there is more that I wanted, but I must have pushed the painful memories into the depth of my soul.

notquiteawake said...

I never had a Light Bright either! And I always wanted one. Weird. I thought everyone had light brights. On my 22nd birthday my friends got me one as a joke....really not so fun.
I wanted lots when I was a kid: A Barbie house and car, a kitchen set, a little sister....the list goes on and on.

tee said...

My grandparents had a lite bright, it was kind of a pain in the ass, it took forever to make anything and we always lost the little light bulby things in the shag carpet.

I got a pair of roller skates (the ones with the key and the metal wheels) for Christmas one year. They weren't as great as I thought they would be.

Actually, a lot of things I thought would be awesome in my childhood turned out to be a disappointment. Sad.