Monday, June 06, 2011

I can see your tool shed

So something happened at the gym today which brought me back to the blog.  In fact, even as it was happening I was thinking: "I'm totally blogging this."  Ha!

So, today I went to swim laps at the pool because I ate and drank all weekend and felt guilty about it.  After my swim I was standing at the industrial strength dryers when a woman stepped out of the change room. She was wearing only her bra and a white coton skirt.  The skirt was COMPLETELY see through.  Like, she was wearing a grey thong see-through.  Like, I read the tag and she wears medium sized La Senza underwear see-through.

I stood there wondering if I should say something.  She went into a change room to change out of her swim suit so she's obviously relatively modest.  She was wearing a conservative business-wear top with her skirt and those ugly but super comfortable-type shoes.  This was not a woman who wanted people to see her La Senzas, as far as I could tell. 

I felt sick thinking that she had spent her entire day wearing this skirt without knowing that she was a walking peepshow.  She walked around at her office in this skirt.  She went to the food court for lunch in this skirt.  Pervy Doug who works in accounting took mental pictures of her in this skirt.  (I may have exaggerated a little in my mind).  But you get the picture, I had serious second-hand embarassment for this poor woman.

Now, I'm not really that person to just strike up a conversation with a stranger but I figured she deserved to know.  But I just stood there, I didn't know what to say.  First of all, how do you approach a woman getting dressed at the pool without seeming like a freak.  Secondly, what if I told her and she told me to mind my own business or worse yet, what if she was completely humiliated?  I tried to imagine how I'd react in this situation and realized I had no idea how I would react to a total stranger telling me that they could see my front bum.

I walked towards her once she was fully dressed (well, as fully dressed as you can be in a see-through skirt). I was really hesitant and when she looked up with a sour, unpleasant look on her face, I caved and walked away.  I just couldn't do it.  Maybe I'm a horrible, awful person, but I just couldn't. 

And now for our "The More You Know...." moment:

Ladies.  Please.  Wear a slip.

No comments: