Sunday, September 14, 2008

High school mentality

A girl I went to high school with added me on Facebook. The name seemed familiar but I had to look her up in my yearbook to actually remember who she was. I felt kind of obligated to add her as a friend so I did, all the while secretly planning to delete her after a week. I know, I know it's so passive aggressive but I didn't want to hurt her feelings, this girl, that I barely remember.

I checked her friend list for people I knew. She had added about 200 people that we went to high school with. I thought that it was amazing that she had kept in touch with so many people (then I realized they were probably random add-ins like me).

Isn't it so funny how some people have such a hard time letting go of high school? They stay friends with their H.S. buddies long after out growing the friendship, they reminisce about parties and asinine things that all 16 year old kids do, like those 4 years were the greatest thing to ever happen to them. Or some people are so traumatized by H.S. that they bitch about it forever.

I had a great H.S. experience but very rarely think about it, sometimes I'll see someone that looks vaguely familiar and then, like 3 days later, realize they were in 90% of my classes.

I always tell my students to make the best out of those 4 years, get involved, enjoy the experience. But what I really want to tell them is that, good or bad, it goes fast, and that it shouldn't be their defining experience. Talk about peaking too soon. If I could be totally honest I'd tell them, live it, get over it, and move on.

No comments: