Thursday, July 19, 2007

Growing Pains and Snot Bubbles

Do you ever have that moment where you think, "holy crap, I'm a grown-up"? Usually it hits me when I'm standing in front of a class full of 12 year-olds. I'll have a moment of panic where I think someone has made a terrible mistake and left me in charge. All of a sudden the monkeys are running the zoo; all the kids are looking at me and doing what I tell them and I feel like a fraud. But then the panic subsides and I think, "holy crap, I'm a grown-up".

Today I'm having HCIAGU moments all over the place. First of all a "real" grown up asked me for some help on her masters thesis, which is hilarious. At one time in my life I was obsessed with New Kids on the Block, and now someone wants me to help them write a dissertation. (HCIAGU!)

Then, I went to my best friend from kindergarten to grade 12's pre-wedding social. I look over and the girl who used to make me pee my pants laughing by blowing snot bubbles on command, was standing beside her future mother-in-law. Just for a second I thought, "You're not old enough to have a mother-in-law! You just got your driver's license!" But then I remember, she's almost 30 (HCIAGU!).

I honestly never feel old. In fact I still feel like a kid sometimes. I think part of it is teaching elementary school, it somewhat stunts your maturity in that you're constantly reliving experiences from adolescence, just from a different perspective. However, I think watching my oldest friend get married this weekend may be a turning point. I may just have to accept that I'm a grown up. I'm still going to look forward to recess though, and blow the occasional snot bubble.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I get these moments all the time!!

When I wake up and realize I have to go to work everyday! (HCIAGU)

I also notice this when I no longer CRAVE candy. I could have a chocolate bar sitting on my desk all day long and not have a bite! What is wrong with me? (HCIAGU)

When I think about getting married! (HCIAGU)

When I think about how one of my best friends is the daughter of my grade 3 teacher! (HCIAGU)